Carlo Ancelotti showered immense praise on Napoli striker Victor Osimhen a day before Real Madrid would square off against the Italian club for a Champions League game on Thursday.
Osimhen remained out of action for a month due to a thigh injury before returning in a Serie A clash against Atalanta last Saturday. However, the newly appointed Napoli manager, Walter Mazzari was not sure about the Nigerian’s availability in the Real Madrid game. Osimhen did appear in the away fixture but could not make any impact on the scoresheet as Napoli ended up suffering a 4-2 defeat.
ALSO READ| Match-fixing in I-League: AIFF President Reiterates Commitment to Protect Integrity in Indian Football
Before going into the home game, Carlo Ancelotti revealed his plans about stopping Osimhen during an interaction with Sky Italia. “Victor Osimhen is a complete attacker, very strong with his head and in transitions. We took all this into account in the first leg, and we will try to take it into account tomorrow too,” the Italian manager said, as quoted by Six Sports.
Victor Osimhen may reportedly part ways with Napoli when the upcoming transfer window opens in January next year. Several European clubs have been keeping their eyes on the Nigerian attacker, with Chelsea being one of them. The London Blues are desperate to rope in a centre-forward soon as they want to increase the strength in the attacking third.
According to a report by Football London, Chelsea were keen to secure the signing of Osimhen during the summer transfer. But Napoli was not ready to let the star forward go then. As the deal collapsed, Chelsea had to sign Nicolas Jackson from Spanish side Villarreal. The transfer is yet to be proved beneficial for Chelsea, who are now reeling at the 10th place in the Premier League table with 16 points in 13 games.
Considering the current situation, the London-based club is doubtful to earn qualification for the Champions League next season. It won’t actually matter for Osimhen, according to former English footballer Glen Johnson. Speaking to GG Recon, the Liverpool legend claimed that Osimhen was interested in joining Chelsea in the January transfer window.
“Regardless of what’s happening at Napoli, I believe Victor would want to join Chelsea anyway. However, Victor will be kicking himself that this move could happen when Chelsea are currently in transition. Of course, they’re a big team and they’re going to bounce back eventually,” Johnson said.
Osimhen’s relationship with Napoli had deteriorated since the club posted a controversial video on TikTok earlier in September. The video seemingly took a dig at the Nigerian footballer as it surfaced just days after he failed to convert a penalty against Bologna. The Serie A side later released a statement, saying that they had no intention to offend Osimhen through the video.